Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Not my will, but Yours

I have had a revelation! Well...I'm not sure if you can call it that since I've been noticing it for several years now and it didn't just happen out of the blue. Anyways, the point is I have realized something super big that can...no WILL...completely change your life! I have realized that there is absolutely no point in planning your life out! Especially if you actually believe it will happen that way.

Okay so maybe I'm the only one like this, but I am that girl that likes to plan everything out. I'm not extreme or anything, I just like to have an idea and a plan to follow. I feel like as long as I have a plan then I will be able to have a written out path to follow to keep me moving in the right direction. Having said all of that, I of course planned out where I would go to college, what I would major in, how long it would take me, around what age I would like to start settling down, etc.

Contrary to what I would have liked, my plans began to dissolve when I was still a child and in high school. Slowly but surely, God would make my plans fall through and His prevail. Naturally, I would be upset but eventually I would come to realize that God's plan was always much better for me anyways. So as I was first encountering all these changes to my plans in high school, I came upon a verse in Proverbs. Since discovering this verse, it has became my favorite Bible verse and one that I still remind myself of daily.

"A man's heart plans his ways, but the Lord determines His steps." -Proverbs 16:9

Isn't that verse just so true! I mean it doesn't matter how much we plan because ultimately God's will is what is going to happen anyways. It's just like Jonah and the whale. We all remember this story from when we were kids. God told Jonah to go to Nineveh and tell the people living there that they were sinning against God and that God was bringing judgment against them. Jonah didn't think this was a good plan though. He was determined to not do as God said and went in the complete opposite direction. So God being the awesome Creator He is sends a huge whale to come and swallow Jonah up until he repents, which of course he did. In the end, Jonah ended up going to Nineveh. He could have saved himself a whole lot of trouble if he would have avoided running from God and just did as He said.

It works the same way in our lives. It doesn't matter how much we plan because God's plans are so much bigger than ours. I'm not saying it is wrong to plan. I'm just saying that God usually has something different in mind for us so we need to acknowledge that and not be "stuck" on our plans. In the end, God's plans are so much better than our own anyways so why be swallowed by a fish when you don't have to be. Just trust God and allow Him to lead you in the direction He wants. It will change your life forever!!

Much love,

No comments:

Post a Comment